John Lewis gets patriotic with store wraps
John Lewis, the official department store of London 2012, has wrapped its Oxford Street and Westfield Stratford City stores with branded banners as part of its support for the Games.
The John Lewis store on London's Oxford Street has been wrapped with an asymmetric British flag, while a banner displaying a medal made out of items shoppers can buy in John Lewis has gone up at Stratford.
The retailer has also worked with fellow London 2012 partner Adidas to install giant banners and wraps at both its Cardiff and Sheffield shops.
An 80-foot image of Team GB athlete Tom Daley is on display across the front of John Lewis Cardiff, while shoppers at John Lewis Sheffield are greeted by a 40-foot image of Team GB athlete and local girl Jessica Ennis.
The idea for the project was devised by Omnicom's Manning Gottlieb OMD and the banners were realised in conjunction with Posterscope's Hyperspace and large-format outdoor media owner BlowUp.
Visitors will be directed to the official Olympic departments, which have been set up in branches of the stores to sell branded Olympic goods such as Wenlock and Mandeville soft toys.
The banners are part of a wider campaign aimed at targeting both domestic and international tourists while they are out and about around the Olympic venues and travelling around the capital.
Other marketing activity from John Lewis includes press ads in the official Olympic programmes, traditional and digital sites on the London Underground and press ads in conjunction with Adidas and Panasonic.
At the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010, department store Sears wrapped its stores in the red and white of the Canadian flag to show its support and affiliation with the Games.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Project Manager Emma & Rachael & You £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Press Officer Ball & Hoolahan £32,000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head Of Strategy & Consumer Insight Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South West England
- Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film