Skype hires former Yahoo CMO Steele to top marketing role
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 25 July 2012 11:22AM
Yahoo's former marketing chief Elisa Steele has joined Microsoft as corporate vice president of marketing for its telephony company Skype.
In the newly created role, Steele oversee Skype’s global brand and marketing functions, reporting directly into Skype president Tony Bates.
Skype axed the global chief marketing officer role in June last year, shortly after the plans for its acquisition by Microsoft were announced, parting ways with Doug Bewsher, who now is senior vice president of marketing at software company Salesforce.com.
Steele, who was behind Yahoo's $100m 'It's You' campaign, left Yahoo at the end of last year, shortly after former chief executive Carol Bartz was dismissed.
She worked at the digital media company for just under three years. Prior to that she held senior roles at NetApp, Sun Microsystems and AT&T.
Bates said: "Skype is a global brand that has become part of the everyday lives of millions of people around the world."
"Skype has always had a maniacal focus on building the best products in the world and now we are adding a world-class marketing leader to guide our brand's development and growth."
In April this year, Skype launched a $12m (£7.5m) UK and US campaign, which was its largest consumer push to date, to promote the service as an enabler of "more human" communications.
The marketing push was lead by Francie Strong, director of global marketing at Skype, who will now report into Steele.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Director Major Players £250 - £350 per day, West London
- Senior Packaging Artworker - FMCG Twist Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum + BENEFITS AND BONUS SCHEME, West End
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers