Majority of UK consumers 'cannot name Olympic sponsors'
More than half the UK population cannot confidently name a single Olympic sponsor, despite the hundreds of millions poured into sponsorship programmes, according to research from ICM on behalf of Third City.
Less than one quarter (24%) of Britons could not name a single Olympic sponsor, out of the 2,013 adults surveyed on 11-12 July.
A further one in three (33%) said they could hazard a guess, but would be unsure if they were correct.
In London, sponsor cut-through is slightly better, with four in five of those living in the capital unable to name more than two of the Games' 14 headline sponsors.
Mark Lowe, founding partner at Third City, said: "Advertising that offers no promise, support or reason-to-believe looks like wallpaper. Unfortunately, too many Olympic sponsorships fall into this category.
"Just 'badging' a major event, no matter how high profile, just isn't enough anymore."
The survey comes two days before the Olympics opening ceremony, and the same day the first Olympics event, a women’s football match between Team GB and New Zealand.
Olympic sponsor BMW told Marketing on 11 July that it was "unlikely" to sponsor the next Olympic Games after spending an estimated £50m on sponsoring London 2012.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- UX DESIGNER - (Creative, User Experience, Layout, Branding) Creative Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Frontend Developer Digital Gurus £35000 - £60000 Per Annum Bonus and Benefits, London
- Brand Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Sales Manager- Travel - Programmatic Ultimate Asset £45000 - £55000 per annum + commission, benefits & shares!, London
- Middleweight Print Designer Major Players £22000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch