Wieden & Kennedy to use Tesco 'every little helps' strapline
By Campaign staff, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 26 July 2012 11:00AM
The call came last Friday morning. Matt Atkinson, the group marketing and digital officer at Tesco, picked up the phone to Neil Christie, the managing director of Wieden & Kennedy, to check that he was sitting down before delivering the news that his agency had triumphed in the ad pitch of the year.
W&K won the £110 million business after a pitch against TBWA\Manchester and VCCP. JWT London had earlier pulled out of the contest.
Christie described the appointment as an opportunity to work "with one of Britain's truly iconic brands". The work is expected to begin after October, until when the incumbent, The Red Brick Road, has a contract.
Sources close to the pitch suggest that the agency will continue to create work based around the long-running "every little helps" line. One source said that agencies were asked whether they would change the line but then received indications from the client team that it was a key part of the Tesco heritage.
W&K has been retained as the "lead creative and strategic agency". However, Campaign understands W&K has partnered with Tag, which will handle trade and tactical ads.
The Tesco business accounts for around two-thirds of The Red Brick Road's billings, but the agency said it was too soon to put a figure on how many staff would transfer with the business to W&K.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Marketing Manager Stopgap £45000 - £60000 per annum, ShÃ nghÇŽi
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum + Car/Car Allowance, London (Central), London (Greater), South East
- Junior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £35,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- TalkTalk to launch user-generated X Factor idents
- Watch Harvey Keitel's Wolf bark again in new Direct Line ads
- Celebrity Cruises opts for Goodstuff