Olympic rowing gold medal duo in Royal Mail stamp first
British Olympic gold medal winners Helen Glover and Heather Stanning are to be celebrated in a commemorative stamp that Royal Mail will print overnight and rush out tomorrow.
The speed at which the commemorative stamp will be issued, just 24 hours after today’s gold medal win in the Women’s Pairs rowing final at Eton Dorney, is a first for Royal Mail.
A fleet of 90 Royal Mail vehicles will deliver the stamps across the UK to over 500 Post Offices to be on sale by lunchtime tomorrow.
Royal Mail will also paint red post boxes gold in Glover’s and Stanning’s respective hometowns of Penzance, Cornwall and Lossiemouth, Moray to celebrate their gold medal win.
The stamps are the first in a Royal Mail series that will celebrate Team GB’s achievements.
Immediately after Glover’s and Stanning’s win, Getty Images submitted a selection of photographs of the gold medal winning-moment to the eight-strong Royal Mail design team.
Royal Mail reviewed all the images sent, choosing the best one, cropped and positioned it within the templated design of a six-stamp miniature sheet.
Moya Greene, Royal Mail chief executive, said: 'We’re delighted to be issuing these very special Gold Medal stamps to recognise our Olympic champion UK athletes.
'This is a first for Royal Mail and we are proud to play our part in celebrating the many victories this summer.'
Glover and Stanning, an army captain, ended Team GB's gold medal drought with their win, leading the 2km race from start to finish.
Neither of the rowers have brand sponsors and instead are Lottery funded through UK Sport.
Both are graduates of the Team GB 'Start' programme, sponsored by Siemens.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Account Planner Direct Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
- Strategy Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 - £90,000 + bens, Central London
- Senior Strategist Direct Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 + bens, Central London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Heinz brings back invisible bottle of tomato ketchup
- Initiative scoops Amazon global media business
- Polycell gets cheeky in crack-filler campaign
- Marks & Spencer loses AdWords battle to Interflora
Forget the digital cluster bomb – be more like Bob
It’s said that the average person is exposed to 30,000 marketing messages a day. To me that’s worrying news for us marketers – especially if it’s your job is to build marketing relationships with consumers.