Olympic rowing gold medal duo in Royal Mail stamp first
British Olympic gold medal winners Helen Glover and Heather Stanning are to be celebrated in a commemorative stamp that Royal Mail will print overnight and rush out tomorrow.
The speed at which the commemorative stamp will be issued, just 24 hours after today’s gold medal win in the Women’s Pairs rowing final at Eton Dorney, is a first for Royal Mail.
A fleet of 90 Royal Mail vehicles will deliver the stamps across the UK to over 500 Post Offices to be on sale by lunchtime tomorrow.
Royal Mail will also paint red post boxes gold in Glover’s and Stanning’s respective hometowns of Penzance, Cornwall and Lossiemouth, Moray to celebrate their gold medal win.
The stamps are the first in a Royal Mail series that will celebrate Team GB’s achievements.
Immediately after Glover’s and Stanning’s win, Getty Images submitted a selection of photographs of the gold medal winning-moment to the eight-strong Royal Mail design team.
Royal Mail reviewed all the images sent, choosing the best one, cropped and positioned it within the templated design of a six-stamp miniature sheet.
Moya Greene, Royal Mail chief executive, said: 'We’re delighted to be issuing these very special Gold Medal stamps to recognise our Olympic champion UK athletes.
'This is a first for Royal Mail and we are proud to play our part in celebrating the many victories this summer.'
Glover and Stanning, an army captain, ended Team GB's gold medal drought with their win, leading the 2km race from start to finish.
Neither of the rowers have brand sponsors and instead are Lottery funded through UK Sport.
Both are graduates of the Team GB 'Start' programme, sponsored by Siemens.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Content Editor Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum, London
- Studio Manager / Front of House - brand & packaging agency Gabriele Skelton £24000 - £28000 per annum, London
- Account Manager : CRM/DM/Digital : Integrated agency : Central London Dylan Circa £30k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Planner : New, Full Service Creative Agency : London Dylan Circa £60k + benefits, London (Greater)
- Marketing Executive - Global Leading Oil and Gas Company Ninesharp Negotiable, Swindon
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media