Thomas Cook launches virtual Facebook game
By Nick Batten, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 06 August 2012 12:07PM
Thomas Cook has launched a virtual Facebook game, which aims to tap into the success of the social network's popular games such as Zynga and FarmVille.
The Globe Trotter game has been devised to help raise awareness of Thomas Cook's foreign exchange offering.
Arena Media said it came up with the concept behind the game, which has been designed by Socially Bright, the digital agency.
Anna Beynon, senior planner and buyer at Arena Media, oversaw the project.
The game invites holidaymakers to catch as many virtual notes and coins as they can from a spinning globe within thirty seconds with the chance to win £100 in foreign currency.
Players can move up 10 different levels, with the value of the currency increasing as they progress through the game, boosting the player’s score.
Thomas Cook will also donate 50p to the Thomas Cook Children's Charity when a player unlocks levels six and 10.
The Globe Trotter game is part of a wider media strategy by Thomas Cook, which involves press, online, PPC, social media and radio activity.
This year’s initiative aims to build on previous Thomas Cook campaigns, whilst updating the traditional message with a lighter hearted look and feel as well.
Chris Armond, business director at Arena Media, said: "In a cluttered market where consumers are traditionally hit with price or convenience messages, we wanted to add a fun element to the foreign currency category, and draw Thomas Cook customers in with a fresh approach."
Linda Booth, head of retail marketing at Thomas Cook, said: "By engaging holidaymakers in an entertaining way this summer, we hope to not only build awareness of our fantastic travel money offering, but also ensure that Thomas Cook is at the forefront of people’s minds looking for a break this summer."
The campaign will run throughout the summer season, with players able to claim £100 prizes everyday for the first six weeks.Follow @nickbatten2
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
- Dealer consultant / regional marketing manager - automotive David Thatcher Recruitment c£35k + car, South Buckinghamshire
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show