Wonga's game show deal challenged by Twitter protests
Ant and Dec, Simon Cowell and ITV have become the target of a Twitter campaign led by a Labour MP after the TV channel signed a deal for the new series of 'Red or Black?' to be sponsored by controversial lender Wonga.com.
After Media Week revealed that Wonga.com is set to sponsor the new series of 'Red or Black?' yesterday, Labour MP for Walthamstow Stella Creasy asked presenters Ant and Dec (@antanddec) to use their influence to speak out against the deal.
Creasy (@StellaCreasy) tweeted: "Hey @antanddec can I persuade you not 2 promote legal loan sharks by saying no 2 Wonga sponsoring red or black? http://bit.ly/OI1IRX RT"
Wonga.com is seen as controversial because its short-term loans carry a typical APR of 4,214%. Creasy believes they amount to legal loan sharks and contribute to putting families even further into debt.
Since her first Tweets yesterday she and the campaigning account @sharkstoppers have been re-tweeting other users’ comments about the deal.
For example Shirley Humphreys (@singhdasa) said: "Dear @antanddec, do you know what Wonga does & its impact upon vulnerable lives? Appropriate for family favs like you? Ask @stellacreasy".
Rich Mills (@richymills) tweeted: "Hey @antanddec @simoncowell look at the tweets from @stellacreasy – she's right about http://wonga.com ! Some social conscience please."
Campaigning by Creasy contributed to Transport for London banning controversial loans companies from signing big money sponsorship deals, such as the free tube and bus travel on New Year’s Eve.
Last week Wonga launched a digital platform called Openwonga.com, which aims to "inform the debate" around the brand and improve its reputation.
A spokeswoman for Wonga.com declined to comment.
The sponsorship was negotiated by PHD with idents created by Albion.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Communications Executive Ninesharp £28000 - £35000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits, City of London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Retail] - Superb London Agency! Fill Recruitment £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, London (Greater)
- Online Trading Manager Premier Consultants c.£45k plus bonus , Central London
- Account Director - Integrated / [CARS] - Global Agency - to £55k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £55k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)
- PLANNING ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - GLOBAL SOFT DRINKS BRAND Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith