McDonald's responsive Olympic campaign airs with fans' footage
By Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 07 August 2012 12:58PM
McDonald's has shifted into the next phase of its £10m Olympics campaign, airing pictures and footage straight from fans during the events, which are used as the creative for its 'We're All Making The Games' campaign.
The crowdsourced ads, created by Leo Burnett, have been made by splicing clips of fans watching the Games over the past week, supported by digital outdoor ads featuring pictures that Olympics fans have posted of themselves onto a dedicated Facebook page.
The first of the reactive TV ads launched on Saturday (4 August), with another creative already being filmed to air next Saturday (11 August). The campaign originally launched on 25 June.
The bespoke user-generated posters are being created on a daily basis, with 58 already created for regular rotation on the digital outdoor sign at London's Piccadilly Circus over the past week.
Leo Burnett said additional outdoor, press and Facebook ads bring the total of user-generated ads to over 100, with more than 1,000 fans having uploaded personal images.
McDonald's is the official restaurant provider to the London 2012 Olympic Games and the ad ends with the strapline: "We're all making the Games".
Mark Franklin and Rob Tenconi acted as both copywriters and art directors on the ads, with creative director Adam Tucker, and planners Tom Roach and Kit Patrick. Luke Franklin and Neil Gorringe directed the ad, while production company Moxie Pictures worked with the agency. Media planning and buying is handled by OMD UK.
Alistair Macrow, vice-president marketing, McDonald's UK said: "Putting user-generated content front and centre of our Olympic advertising has really enlivened the campaign, and has given the British public the chance to lead the way in celebrating this monumental summer of sport.
"The levels of engagement are exceeding our expectations and we're being sent some amazing shots that are really capturing the charming eccentricities of fans enjoying the Games. It's just a terrific reflection of the excitement that is sweeping the nation."Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- SINGAPORE - ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - TECH CLIENTS - TOP MEDIA AGENCY! Ultimate Asset £55000 - £75000 per annum + Bonus + benefits, Singapore
- McDonald's 10 best UK ads
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- Campaign Viral Chart: Busta Rhymes features in Toyota rap ad
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Magazine ABCs: a media agency viewpoint
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders