Sir John Hegarty and D&AD panel on judging a Black Pencil
To celebrate D&AD's 50th Birthday, a panel of industry stalwarts including Sir John Hegarty, Bob Greenberg and David Droga, reveal what it takes to win a Black Pencil.
The behind the scenes footage by RSA Films includes interviews with D&AD chief executive Tim Lindsay and president of D&AD Rosie Arnold.
The amount Black Pencils issued every year fluctuates depending on the quality of work.
Former D&AD president Sir John Hegarty said: "Is the pencil dead? In today's digital world some would argue so. There is one pencil of course that isn’t. Black has become the most coveted colour there is. It conjures envy and admiration. You can rent a black tie, you can purchase a little black dress but you have to earn a Black Pencil.
Its currency is inspiration, daring, persistence and audacity. It’s rarity renowned. Awarded rarely, and only to those who’ve captured our imagination and changed the way we think. So is the pencil dead? Certainly not this one."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire