Facebook's $1bn Instagram deal cleared by OFT
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 14 August 2012 01:28PM
Facebook's $1bn (£641m) acquisition of photo-sharing service Instagram has today (14 August) been given the green light by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), which has decided not to refer it to the Competition Commission.
The UK regulator launched its probe into the acquisition in June, to investigate whether a merger of the parties would prevent photos being uploaded to rival sites such as Twitter, or using other apps to upload pictures to Facebook.
An OFT spokesman said that having evaluated that the strategies of the two companies, "this was not be the case" and it would therefore not be referring it to the Competition Commission.
A document, which sets out the reasoning by which the OFT has reached its decision, will be published in the coming weeks.
Facebook announced its plans to acquire Instagram, one of the fastest-growing social networks, for $1bn in April, ahead of its IPO.
The app, which allows users to apply filters to photos taken on their phone and share them via social networks, has seen phenomenal growth, amassing more than 30 million users in under two years.
While the ruling is a victory for Facebook, which potentially could have been forced to make modifications to the Instagram business if the merger was not approved, it is still under investigation from the Federal Trade Commission in the US and could face a lengthy wait.
Facebook declined to comment on the news.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Field Manager - Experiential Agency - up to £34k Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £34k, west london
- Senior Account Director/Group Account Director Twist Recruitment £48000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Digital Lead with Integrated Agency Gemini Search £60000 - £75000 per annum, City of London
- Product Manager - Global Automotive Giant - Berkshire Ninesharp £40000 - £50000 per annum + Great Benefits and Brand Car, Slough
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- TalkTalk to launch user-generated X Factor idents
- Celebrity Cruises opts for Goodstuff
- Watch Harvey Keitel's Wolf bark again in new Direct Line ads