Airlines ramp up lobbying on air passenger duty
Virgin Atlantic, easyJet, Ryanair and International Airlines Group (IAG) are believed to have come together once more in their fight against the Government's Air Passenger Duty (APD), by commissioning a report outlining how hard the tax hits consumers.
The four rival airlines are reported to have commissioned PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to produce an independent report that details the direct economic effects of APD on consumers.
The Independent on Sunday reported yesterday (19 August) that PwC is in "week one" of its analysis, with a full report expected this autumn.
It is expected to show that the £2.7bn tax costs the UK economy more than it levies, because it has a dramatic effect on consumers' choices to fly to and from Britain.
IAG, easyJet and Virgin Atlantic have not confirmed the commissioning of the report, but all have stated their views on APD, which have long been in the public sphere. Ryanair was unavailable for comment at the time of publishing.
The rise in APD on short-haul flights means consumers now pay £13 in tax compared with the previous £12, while the tax on long-haul flights above 6,000 miles has risen from £85 to £91 per person. Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Director - Digital Agency - Oxfordshire - £45k - NP084 Stonor £45k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Account Manager - Partnership Marketing Stonor £24k - £32k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)