Thomson trial to welcome holiday makers via Google+
Thomson is integrating Google+ and Twitter into its hospitality strategy and creating live "hangouts" and hashtags for its resorts, as it seeks to modernise the holiday experience for its consumers.
The TUI Travel-owned holiday brand plans to welcome its customers pre-departure using Google+ video "hangouts", and will provide a dedicated hashtag on Twitter for holidaymakers staying at their resorts to better communicate with dedicated Thomson staff, called iAdvisors.
iAdvisors will all be provided with a tablet computer to make sure they are contactable at all times.
The move follows research that found holidaymakers are using social networks prior to their trip, in order to meet other travellers and share information.
The trial will be launched at one of Thomson's Sensatori resorts in Crete this month.
Consumers travelling to the resort will be able to take part in a holiday hangout before they travel, with the opportunity to question their iAdvisor about the hotel, local area, and the weather.
While at the resort, consumers will be able to use the hashtag #sensatoricrete to further communicate with the iAdvisors.
The social media strategy will roll out across the rest of Thomson's Sensatori retreats later this year, depending on the success of the trial.
Ian Chapman, director of holiday experiences at Thomson, said: "Using Google+ Hangouts and Twitter hashtags is the perfect way to share our team's outstanding local knowledge and experience, but in a way that appeals to our more tech-savvy customers."
The move comes nearly a year after Thomson broke from its traditional strategy of a post-Christmas marketing campaign by running its biggest push of the year in October, in a bid to increase market share and brand visibility.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Business Director - Networked Agency Fill Recruitment to £90k, London
- Strategy Director - Marketing Strategy Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £100k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Sometimes collaboration, not innovation, can be the key to winning campaigns
- Virgin Trains spends £8 million on advertising to refocus on its brand
- WPP challenges Govt review
- Domino's Pizza launches TV ad for cheese and smokey bacon stuffed crust
- Hovis appoints Mother to ad account