Google expands TrueView skippable ads to mobile
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Thursday, 23 August 2012 11:20AM
Google has started rolling out its skippable ad format TrueView to YouTube on mobile, as it moves to capitalise on the upsurge of consumers streaming video on their devices.
TrueView, which launched in 2010, offers users the option of skipping pre-roll advertising after five seconds, with advertisers not having to pay for the slot if the user decides not to watch it. The idea is that this offers greater incentive to produce ads that engage consumers.
Google, which has been running a trial on the ad format on mobile, said that early indications are that users engage with the ads in the same way as they do on desktop.
According to a Google spokeswoman, TrueView is one of YouTube's most successful ad formats to date and 65% of all video ads on YouTube are TrueView skippable ads.
Other mobile ads YouTube already offers include Promoted video ads, which sit at the top of the video search results of YouTube’s mobile platform; mobile roadblocks which are masthead ads, and customised mobile brand channels.
The move comes as advertisers are looking for more creative ad formats for mobile that will not impinge on user experience, given the smaller screen size. This is particularly the case in social media, where consumers are less used to being served advertising.
Both Twitter and Facebook have yet to crack mobile advertising, with Twitter trialling ads in users' timelines last year, while Facebook started selling mobile ads that appear in users’ newsfeeds earlier this year.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager / Senior Programme Manager / Junior Account Director - £36k. Charity/NFP MODA consult £36k + excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director or Senior Account Director - Global Advertising Agency,FMCG brand. £65k salary. ATL MODA consult Around £65k + excellent benefits & career path, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned