Microsoft waves in first logo update for 25 years
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 24 August 2012 11:40AM
Microsoft has unveiled a revised logo as it seeks to unify its brand identity, ahead of what it is claiming will be one of its "most significant" waves of product launches in its history.
The update, which is the first for the company in 25 years, is a simplified version of its previous logo. The typeface is Segoe font, used for its products and marketing communications. The symbol, which consists of squares of different colours, is now square, rather than wavy.
From today (24 August), the logo will be used more prominently and will appear on the company’s website, and in three retail stores in the US, rolling out to all its stores over the next few months.
It is also feature in all of Microsoft’s global marketing, and will be used to sign off all forthcoming TV ad campaigns.
Writing on the company's official blog yesterday, Jeffrey Meisner, general manager, brand strategy at Microsoft, said that "now is the perfect time" for a new logo, as it gears up to launch its Windows 8 operating system, Windows Phone 8, its next version of Office, and its debut tablet, the Surface, in the next few months
He claims the new logo will give a common look and feel to its products and a "seamless" user experience, waiving in a "new era" for the company, which is facing tough competition from Apple and Google in internet and technology market.
The new logo comes shortly after Microsoft announced it was scrapping its web-based email brand Hotmail, in favour of its other email brand, Outlook.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Recruitment Consultant Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum, Stratfordupon Avon
- Senior Account Manager Gemini Search £32000 - £36000 per annum, London
- Freelance Creative Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £150 - £350 per annum, London
- Senior Interior Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Presentation Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- HSBC launches Anyone's Game golf campaign
- Facebook and Airbnb sign up to D&AD New Blood