Morrisons falls victim to Facebook voucher give-away scam
Morrisons is warning Facebook users against a scam purportedly offering a free £250 gift voucher, which it believes is a data mining operation.
The link features Morrisons branding and advertising for its back-to-school range, in an attempt to dupe Facebook users.
Anyone who tries to leave the page is told they are "today's winner" via a notification that encourages them to stay on the page in order to claim the fake prize.
Morrisons has posted a link on its Facebook page warning its fans of the scam and revealing it is not giving out free gift vouchers.
The statement says: "Warning: We'd like to remind our fans to not follow the instructions on the page 'Free £250 Gift Voucher From Morrison' that is being circulated around Facebook – this is a scam.
"Unfortunately, spammers have been pretending to be Morrisons when they have nothing to do with us. They may be trying to access your personal data and do not intend to give you a free gift voucher."
The Facebook scam is not the first of its nature and follows on from a scam that ran in December that played off the Tesco brand.
Tesco customers were encouraged to join Facebook event pages and follow a series of instructions in order to "qualify" for the non-existent £250 voucher.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Designer 20-35k London - Advertising Tech Company Creative Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, London
- senior account director > RETAIL > GLOBAL AGENCY collectivo Salary confidential, London
- social media account manager > DRINKS BRAND collectivo to £25-30k + amazing bens, London
- Press Investment Senior Exec Aspire £25000.00 - £34000.00 per annum, London
- Group Marketing Manager - Leading Media Business ADLIB £30000 - £40000 per annum, Bath
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham