Amazon launches into UK daily deals market
Amazon is expanding AmazonLocal, its daily deals website that offers discounts from local businesses high-street chains and online stores, into the UK, a year after launching in the US.
AmazonLocal will also offer discounted experiences, inclusing flying lessons and massages.
The site, local.amazon.co.uk, only includes offers for London, and Amazon has not revealed a timeframe for rolling out the service across the whole of the UK, but said it is "working quickly" to expand across the rest of the country.
The site requires consumers to subscribe to the service and to select an area within London that is most relevant to them, before selecting their preferred areas of interest, in order to receive tailored deals and offers.
Amazon's entry to the increasingly crowded UK daily deals market comes a month after Nectar launched its own discount service and two months after the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) sent letters of warning to 35 daily deals sites asking them to review their trading practices amid growing consumer concern.
Amazon launched the service in the US in June 2011, and has since expanded to a number of states from Florida to Georgia.
Read more on The Wall blog
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Studio Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £29000 - £32000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure