Public Enemy adapts C4 ad for Paralympian tribute
By Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 06 September 2012 11:55AM
Public Enemy, the hip hop group whose music Channel 4 used in its "meet the superhumans" Paralympic Games spot, has paid tribute to the Paralympians by recutting its own music video for the track with footage from the ad.
Since the campaign launched in mid-July, the track, 'Harder Than You Think', has hit number four in the UK singles chart, the highest ranking Public Enemy has achieved to date in the UK.
The track itself was released five years ago and was put out as the first single from the group's 20th anniversary album, 'How You Sell Soul to a Soulless People Who Sold Their Soul', which only reached the top 200 at the time.
Paying tribute to the London 2012 Paralympics and the song's selection for Channel 4's campaign, Public Enemy has adapted its original video for the song using footage from the broadcaster's ad cut into the creative.
Paralympians Claire Cashmore, Steve Brown, Jon-Allan Butterworth, Jonnie Peacock, Simon Munn, Dave Clarke, Hannah Cockroft, Jody Cundy and Ellie Simmonds are featured in the video, with the extra accolade of being name-checked within the creative, unlike in the original ad.
James Walker, head of marketing at Channel 4, said: "Public Enemy are one of the greatest hip hop acts of all time. It's a fantastic testament to the impact of the Paralympics that we have been able to introduce new fans to their music."
Public Enemy's Chuck D said: "These athletes are about self-empowerment and determination. Doing what they do is harder than ya think."
The recut video was produced by Gary G-Wiz and edited by David D Snyder, using Channel 4's ad footage directed by Tom Tagholm.Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Executive Corporate Communications Recruitment up to £35k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Media Recruitment - Lead Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, West Midlands Region
- Global CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum , Europe
- CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Virgin Media 'night owl' ad to break in Gogglebox
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Testicular cancer awareness campaign launches comedy show
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media