Samsung agrees two-year extension to Chelsea shirt deal
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 07 September 2012 10:51AM
Samsung has taken an option to extend its shirt sponsorship of Chelsea football club for a further two years, up until the end of 2014-2015 season.
Chelsea, which won the Champions League for the first time this year, signed its initial deal with the South Korean electronics maker back in 2005.
The move marks the latest major Premier League shirt sponsorship deal and follows Manchester United’s deal with US car brand Chevrolet.
Sunderland has also recently signed a shirt sponsorship deal with not-for-profit group Invest in Africa.
Chelsea’s initial deal with Samsung was valued at around £11m a year. According to one report, the new deal is worth around £18m a year. This is less than the Manchester deal, which is thought to be worth around £25m a year.
Sunny Hwang, Samsung’s vice president and head of worldwide sports marketing, has previously said that Samsung would wait to see if Chelsea won the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.
A number of other Premier League clubs, including Tottenham and Fulham, are looking for new shirt sponsorship deals, as their exiting deals expire at the end of the season.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- planner > HUGE opportunity > BRAVE client collectivo Up to £60,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Foodie Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham