Samsung agrees two-year extension to Chelsea shirt deal
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 07 September 2012 10:51AM
Samsung has taken an option to extend its shirt sponsorship of Chelsea football club for a further two years, up until the end of 2014-2015 season.
Chelsea, which won the Champions League for the first time this year, signed its initial deal with the South Korean electronics maker back in 2005.
The move marks the latest major Premier League shirt sponsorship deal and follows Manchester United’s deal with US car brand Chevrolet.
Sunderland has also recently signed a shirt sponsorship deal with not-for-profit group Invest in Africa.
Chelsea’s initial deal with Samsung was valued at around £11m a year. According to one report, the new deal is worth around £18m a year. This is less than the Manchester deal, which is thought to be worth around £25m a year.
Sunny Hwang, Samsung’s vice president and head of worldwide sports marketing, has previously said that Samsung would wait to see if Chelsea won the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.
A number of other Premier League clubs, including Tottenham and Fulham, are looking for new shirt sponsorship deals, as their exiting deals expire at the end of the season.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Client Account Manager - Mobile Advertising Digital Gurus £30000 - £36000 per annum + bonus, negotiable, benefits, London
- Mobile Solutions Architect ( EMEA ) #Mobile - London Digital Gurus £60000 - £70000 per annum + Negotiable upon experience, City of London
- Mobile Project Manager - (Mobile Web / Mobile Applications) Digital Gurus £45000 - £57000 per annum + benefits, package, London