Samsung agrees two-year extension to Chelsea shirt deal
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 07 September 2012 10:51AM
Samsung has taken an option to extend its shirt sponsorship of Chelsea football club for a further two years, up until the end of 2014-2015 season.
Chelsea, which won the Champions League for the first time this year, signed its initial deal with the South Korean electronics maker back in 2005.
The move marks the latest major Premier League shirt sponsorship deal and follows Manchester United’s deal with US car brand Chevrolet.
Sunderland has also recently signed a shirt sponsorship deal with not-for-profit group Invest in Africa.
Chelsea’s initial deal with Samsung was valued at around £11m a year. According to one report, the new deal is worth around £18m a year. This is less than the Manchester deal, which is thought to be worth around £25m a year.
Sunny Hwang, Samsung’s vice president and head of worldwide sports marketing, has previously said that Samsung would wait to see if Chelsea won the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.
A number of other Premier League clubs, including Tottenham and Fulham, are looking for new shirt sponsorship deals, as their exiting deals expire at the end of the season.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing and Communications Manager Source £28000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Associate Planning Director Lipton Fleming £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Marketing Executive- Luxury Retail- to £24k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £22000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Digital Sales Manager MediaMigo Recruitment imited Up to £50k basic + comms + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Director Jarlett de Grouchy £50000.00 - £60000.00 per annum + Great benefits, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch