Amazon backtracks on Kindle ad opt-out
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Monday, 10 September 2012 10:35AM
Amazon has reportedly backtracked on its decision to remove the option for users of its ad-supported Kindles to opt out of receiving ads, giving them the chance to do so for $15.
The e-commerce giant has previously allowed users to opt out of being served Special Offers ads on earlier versions of the Kindle tablets and e-reader, which appear on a user's lock screen, for a fee.
Amazon confirmed it was removing the option to opt out of these ads, sparking a flurry of criticism online over the weekend.
It has now reportedly reversed this decision and said that users of the new Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD will have the option to opt out of Special Offers for an additional $15.
It unveiled its new range of cut-price tablets last week (6 September) and announced that almost a year after they launched in the US they were to go on sale in the UK.
Reports claim that the devices have not been regulatory approval by the Federal Trade Commission to go on sale in the US, despite the company already taking pre-orders.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Account Director fishtank £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Somerset
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- IAB: ad is 'viewable' if half of it is seen for one second
- Powerade launches global World Cup campaign
- We Are Pi wins Wrangler's European creative account
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers