BT signs exclusive £152m Premiership Rugby broadcast deal
By John Reynolds, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:59AM
BT has signed a four-year, £152m live broadcast deal with Premiership Rugby, taking over the rights from Sky and ESPN.
This means that BT will have exclusive live broadcast rights for four years to show top-flight Premiership Rugby, as well as the "sevens" version of the game.
The deal – which BT says is valued at £152m – kicks off from next year and means BT will now be force in rugby as well as football.
Earlier this year, BT snatched rights for a number of Premier League football matches.
The broadcasting rights for live Aviva Premiership matches are currently split between BSkyB and ESPN.
From 2013, BT will have live broadcast rights to all 69 matches per season of the Aviva Premiership rugby for four years. Winning the rights comes as BT is set to launch its first sports channel next year.
Additionally, it will have live broadcast rights to matches from the entire J.P.Morgan Asset Management "sevens" series for four years.
Mark McCafferty, chief executive of Aviva Premiership Rugby, said: "This is a game-changing agreement and will deliver a service that I know our club supporters will enjoy.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Digital Designer 20-35k London - Advertising Tech Company Creative Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, London
- senior account director > RETAIL > GLOBAL AGENCY collectivo Salary confidential, London
- social media account manager > DRINKS BRAND collectivo to £25-30k + amazing bens, London
- Press Investment Senior Exec Aspire £25000.00 - £34000.00 per annum, London
- Group Marketing Manager - Leading Media Business ADLIB £30000 - £40000 per annum, Bath
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham