Sainsbury's commits £1m to help disabled children as part of 2012 legacy
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 14 September 2012 09:17AM
Sainsbury's has today pledged £1m to help improve school sports for disabled children and has extended its sponsorship of the British Paralympic Association to Rio in 2016.
The investment cements Sainsbury’s Paralympic Games legacy commitment, following the end of the London 2012 event, which it sponsored.
The details of Sainsbury's investment are being unveiled by Justin King, the company's chief executive, at an event at Chiswick School this morning. Paralympian star Ellie Simmons will also be in attendance.
Central to the retailer's plans is a £1m commitment to fund teacher training courses, which will help more than 500,000 disabled and children with special educational needs to be included in school PE lessons.
The £1m is part of Sainsbury’s 'Active Kids For All' scheme and the brand's long-standing commitment to helping disadvantaged children.
The investment in teacher training courses has been developed in partnership with Disability Sports Northern Ireland, Disability Sports Wales, Scottish Disability Sport, the English Federation of Disability Sport, the Youth Sport Trust and is supported by the British Paralympics Association.
King said: "Our long standing relationship with the British Paralympics Association has been a source of great personal pride.
"ParalympicsGB had an incredibly successful Games and the public support for our Paralympics athletes was humbling.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Brand and Marketing Manager RIBA £42,450, London (Greater)
- Recruitment Consultant - Competitive Package - Farringdon EC1 Fill Recruitment Good and dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up