Rolling Stones channel King Kong for album pre-order push
By Sarah Shearman, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 20 September 2012 11:58AM
The Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary 'Grrr!' greatest hits album is to be promoted with augmented reality that features a virtual gorilla hanging from famous landmarks including Big Ben and the Sydney Opera House.
From today, Rolling Stones fans can download a dedicated iPhone app that superimposes the gorilla onto their screens when they point their smartphone at one of 3,000 landmarks in 50 cities around the world.
Landmarks include The Empire State Building and Toyko's SkyTree.
The gorilla image is based on the album artwork and features the band's signature red tongue hanging from its mouth.
Universal Music has partnered with augmented reality specialist Aurasma for the global activity. The app also allows users to pre-order the album ahead of its launch next month.
Users are being encouraged to take photos of the gorilla animations and share them on Twitter, Facebook and the band's fan site. The 50 best submissions will each win a prize.
Deborah Hyacinth, vice president of digital marketing at Universal Music Group, said: "This pioneering use of mobile technology extends The Rolling Stones' reputation for innovation and imagination."Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Manager AF Selection £30,000, Liverpool, Merseyside
- Senior Account Manager AF Selection £30,000 - £35,000, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Strategy Director - EMEA Aspire £80000.00 - £120000.00 per annum, London