Daimler in agency talks over Smart car relaunch
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 27 September 2012 08:00AM
Smart, the Daimler-owned car marque, is reviewing its advertising arrangements across Europe as it seeks to relaunch the brand.
Smart has been in contact with agencies directly to invite them to pitch. The winning shop will create a pan-European campaign for its new four-seat model, Smart Forfour. The pitch is being run out of Daimler’s headquarters in Germany.
Smart works with the BBDO network across Europe. The Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO-owned Weapon7 handles UK activity. BBDO is one of five participant shops in the pitch.
A spokeswoman for Daimler said: "Smart is conducting a project pitch in order to find the best creative
ideas for the transision of today's Smart Fortwo to its successor and the new four-seat Smart. Since 2006, Smart and BBDO have worked successfully together. This is why BBDO is set as participant in the pitch. "
The brand is ramping up its marketing activity to boost stagnant sales, which are down 3.3 per cent year on year. Small cars account for 37 per cent of all new car sales in the UK.
Smart has just launched its first sustained "brand offensive" in the UK in four years, beginning with a campaign for its Fortwo model.
Smart unveiled a cinema and viral ad this month, created by Weapon7, that shows a pair of skateboarders performing tricks while riding the same board. The ad unfolds in slow-motion, with the duo passing a Fortwo model at the end of the film.
In August, Smart launched a European TV campaign, called "facelift" and by BBDO Proximity Berlin, to highlight the latest design upgrades to its range of models.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- International Account Director - Media Agency (Benelux & Scandinavia Regions) Silverdrum £45,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Business Director Twist Recruitment £90000.00 - £100000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Digital Marketing Manager - £60K - Fashion - Buckinghams Salt £55000 - £65000 per annum, Buckinghamshire
- Italian Marketing Executive, Travel, Soho Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £27000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: +Bonus & Benefits, London
- Private Bank - Digital Marketing, eCRM Campaign & Marketing Operations Manager - Associate - London J.P.Morgan JPMorgan Chase & Co. offer an exceptional benefits program and highly competitive compensation., Knightsbridge
- Oreo eclipses The Sun in celestial stunt
- Katharine Viner becomes first female editor-in-chief of Guardian News & Media
- Why Viacom spent £120m extending Channel 5's Big Brother deal for three more years
- Tesco media review pits Initiative against MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia
- Comparethemarket.com offers two for one cinema tickets with Meerkat Movies
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'