Alexander Lebedev charged over TV brawl
By John Reynolds, mediaweek.co.uk, Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:21AM
Alexander Lebedev, the Russian backer of the Independent and London Evening Standard, has been charged with "hooliganism motivated by political hatred", a year after he threw a punch at a property developer on a TV show.
The change of "hooliganism motivated by political hatred" is the same charge that was brought against Pussy Riot, the feminist punk band.
Pussy Riot were sentenced to two years in a prison colony.
Lebedev could face up to a possible seven years in prison.
Lebedev’s son Evgeny, owner of the Independent, the Independent on Sunday and London Evening Standard, yesterday (26 September) wrote on Twitter: "He is being targeted by people who don’t like his stance against corruption, and hate Novoya.
"I don’t condone violence, but punishment does not fit the crime here. We need more Russians to speak out against injustice, not fewer. I hope this isn’t the start of a new crackdown."
The 52-year-old Lebedev also co-owns Russia's main pro-democracy newspaper, Novoya Gazeta and has been a vocal critic of Vladimir Putin.
The charge against Lebedev relates to an incident last September when Lebedev appeared on the Moscow TV station NTV, and was involved in a scuffle with Sergie Polonsky, a property developer.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Account Manager - Hugely exciting new DOOH business! Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Uncapped generous commission, London
- Sports! Cross Platform Creative Solutions Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential & Bens, London
- Agency Account Director- Programmatic Video Platform Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + commission & benefits, London
- Account Manager EMEA - Ad-tech Company Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + bonus & benefits , London
- Senior PR Account MAnager - Digital AF Selection £30000 - £35000 per annum, Manchester
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Programmatic adspend nears £1bn and doubles for mobile