Europe lags behind as global ad spend rises 2.4% in Q2
Global ad spend rose to $139bn in the second quarter of 2012, a moderate 2.4% gain over Q2 2011, although Europe continues to retract, according to Nielsen's quarterly Global AdView Pulse report.
In a continuing trend, emerging markets saw the most significant increases. The fastest-growing region, Middle East and Africa, grew 19.6% compared to Q2 2011, while in Latin America, advertisers increased their spend 4.9%.
Ad spend globally is generally on an upswing, but Europe remains the only region experiencing a year-on-year decline, falling 3.8%. Growth of 2.0% was tracked for the UK in the quarter before the London 2012 Olympics.
There was further ad spend growth recognised in Turkey and Norway, but shrinking spend in Greece, The Netherlands and Portugal culminated in a downward shift of across the region.
In North America, the US grew 2.4% while Canada declined 2.0%. Ad spend in Latin America was also up (4.9%) despite decreased spending in Mexico.
The Nielsen research highlights regional inconsistencies across the global, with some countries noting large increases and others down year on year.
In Asia-Pacific, for example, moderate overall growth (+2.9%) resulted from significant increases in countries including the Philippines, Indonesia and Hong Kong being offset by declines in markets such as South Korea and Australia.
Ad spend growth: Q2 2012 vs Q2 2011
Source: Nielsen Global AdView Pulse Q2 2012Follow @DurraniMix
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Flash Developer - Dubai based MCG Associates Tax free Salary, Dubai
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - INTEGRATED AGENCY - £40K Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent agency benefits , London
- Senior Creative Team - Dubai based (tax free salary) MCG Associates Attractive Tax Free Salary, Dubai
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'
- 'We will always love M&S' says Walker Media in goodbye statement