Npower to end three-year Football League sponsorship
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 02 October 2012 08:00AM
The Football League is on the lookout for a new title sponsor, with current partner Npower poised to pull the plug on its three-year sponsorship at the end of the season.
The utility provider signed a three-year deal in 2009 worth £21m to become sponsor of the League, replacing Coca-Cola. The deal was overseen by then-marketing director Kevin Peake, who left Npower last year.
It is understood that the energy company has carried out a brand and strategy review overseen by its top marketer, Debbie Britton, who joined from AXA in January, and is now looking to take its marketing in a 'different direction'.
The period of exclusivity in negotiations between the Football League and Npower has expired, meaning the League is now free to talk to other brands. Negotiations will be led by its chief commercial officer, Richard Heaselgrave.
The Football League's three divisions are the Championship, League One and League Two; the Championship feeds in to the Premier League.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager Stopgap competitive, London
- Senior Account Manager - Integrated Royds Raphael £35k-£45k+bonus+benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Nissan creates tactical ad 7 mins after royal baby no. 2 announcement
- Advertising tech companies make up fifth of Britain's fastest-growing businesses
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- TV body Barb to track viewing via tablets
- Reebok Classics brand film champions 'Madchester' revival
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4