Burglar alarm firm evades complaints for hard-hitting ad
ADT has escaped an investigation by the ASA after the ad watchdog received complaints that the home security firm's recent television ad was "offensive" and "distressing".
ADT launched the ad by The Red Brick Road to establish home monitoring services as an "essential utility".
It features people cowering in dark rooms, looking scared at any sign of noise following a burglary.
The voiceover states, "It’s not just what they [burglars] take, it’s what they leave behind".
Five members of the public complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that the ad's focus on the long lasting emotional trauma caused by burglaries was "offensive" and "distressing".
The ASA decided last month not to investigate the ad after receiving the complaints at the end of August.
ADT positions itself as a service that provides 24-hour security for round the clock peace of mind.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Senior Account Director or Group Account Director, Social / Digital, £60k - £70k, Old Street Agency MODA consult up to £70k + excellent benefits, Central London, Old Street
- Agency Candidates Required Michael Page Digital GBP25000 - GBP50000 per annum, Guildford
- SEO Manager Michael Page Digital GBP30000 - GBP40000 per annum, Manchester
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Heinz brings back invisible bottle of tomato ketchup
- Polycell gets cheeky in crack-filler campaign
- Initiative scoops Amazon global media business
- Marks & Spencer loses AdWords battle to Interflora
Forget the digital cluster bomb – be more like Bob
It’s said that the average person is exposed to 30,000 marketing messages a day. To me that’s worrying news for us marketers – especially if it’s your job is to build marketing relationships with consumers.