Google introduces cost-per-expansion display ad format
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 03 October 2012 10:40AM
Google has unveiled a new expandable ad format called Lightbox, which advertisers only have to pay for when users engage with it.
The ad unit appears in standard size on a page and expands to a large canvas takeover when a user hovers their cursor over it for more than two seconds.
Google said in a blog post that this product was the first in a new family of ads, which mean that advertisers only pay when a user engages with the ad.
Google already offers a similar costing model through its TrueView ad format for YouTube, which offers users the option of skipping pre-roll advertising after five seconds, with advertisers not having to pay for the slot if the user decides not to watch it.
The internet giant this week unveiled new figures for TrueView, looking at the sales impact during, and two weeks after, 92 different ad campaigns.
Google recently expanded TrueView to mobile. It has not revealed whether Lightbox, which is currently available on desktop, will expand to mobile and tablets.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER / ACCOUNT DIRECTOR- PERMANENT & CONTRACT ROLES Royds Raphael £40K - £55K / £180-£250+DAY RATE, London
- Head Of Propositions Development Ball & Hoolahan £85,000 p.a, London (Greater)
- Brand Ambassador Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 p.a., South East England
- STRATEGIC ACCOUNT DIRECTOR for Brand Agency - CONTRACT & PERMANENT Royds Raphael Salary £60k-£70k - CONTRACT OR PERMANENT, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Branding Agency Royds Raphael £30k-£37k + neg + great bens!, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- The man who made Grey matter
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Programmatic adspend nears £1bn and doubles for mobile