Homebase sale ad banned by watchdog for misleading promotion
By Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 10 October 2012 12:01AM
The ad watchdog has banned a Homebase promotional campaign for failing to properly advertise the conditions of its sales offer.
The campaign, created by Leo Burnett, featured TV and radio creative including digital ads on www.homebase.co.uk.
The ads stated: "This weekend at Homebase there’s 15% off everything when you spend £50. That’s 15% on top of our other great offers."
On-screen text stated: "15% off excludes delivery charges, installation and gift vouchers."
One complainant challenged that the ads were misleading as they did not make clear that consumers could not use promotional vouchers to buy items as part of the deal.
Homebase admitted that the voucher the complainant had tried to use in conjunction with the promotion was misleading because it did not tell consumers that it could not be used "during Homebase discount days".
The campaign itself was advertising one of these days, for which the retailer apologised, and said that it will endeavour to make conditions of the offer clearer throughout the messaging on its website.
Though Homebase felt the abridged terms and conditions within its ads were sufficient to tell consumers that limitations on the offer applied, the Advertising Standards Authority banned the campaign for giving an "overall impression" that the national discount day offer could be used with all other Homebase offers.Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- DIGITAL STRATEGY MANAGER - INTEGRATED MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, East Midlands
- Account Director - International - Video Tech Business Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- DIGITAL ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £60000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, Berkshire
- CRM Executive - £30k - London Salt £25000 - £30000 per annum + bens, London