Drambuie targets new drinkers with surreal ad
By Ben Bold, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 11 October 2012 10:54AM
Drambuie marketing director Tim Dewey claims the brand is embarking on a "bold new direction" in a bid to attract a "new generation of drinkers".
The Scottish spirits brand is launching a 30-second TV and cinema ad as part of its 'Taste of the Extraordinary' campaign.
'The Extraordinary Bar' spot by agency Sell! Sell! launches this week and debuts in Scotland and Greece this month.
It is set in a bar filled with an array of odd characters, including a bartender who invites viewers to experience "a taste of the extraordinary" and proffers a gravity-defying upside-down glass of ginger-beer and pours the Drambuie up into the glass.
As he replaces the bottle, the surface of the bar becomes a vast, monochrome-floored landscape. The Drambuie casts a shadow, which becomes a portal into another bizarre landscape. After further surreal scenes, the film ends with three characters chanting, "Dram-boo-eee," while standing in a marooned rowing boat.
Tim Dewey, Drambuie’s marketing director, said: "A Taste of the Extraordinary has taken Drambuie in a bold new direction to attract a new generation of drinkers. We wanted to create something that captivates our audience and is as distinctive as the brand itself – The Extraordinary Bar does this by depicting an extraordinary, rich and abstract world. It is a visual metaphor of the depth and complexity of Drambuie."
The ad was directed by Spanish director Chino Moya.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Integrated Project Manager Purple Consultancy £250 - £350 per day, London
- PR Executive Better Placed Recruitment £18000 - £25000 per annum + DOE, Manchester
- Digital Project Manager Purple Consultancy £300 - £450 per day, London
- Senior Account Executive Purple Consultancy £22000 - £26000 per annum, London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Argos reviews £55 million ad account
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard