Red Bull Stratos skydive smashes YouTube records
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 15 October 2012 09:22AM
Red Bull Stratos, the event behind Felix Baumgartner's skydive from the edge of space in a record breaking stunt, reached eight million concurrent views on YouTube, marking the highest-ever concurrent viewing figure on the Google-owned site.
Baumgartner, the Austrian daredevil, yesterday (14 October) became the first skydiver to reach the speed of sound, when he jumped out of a balloon 24 miles above New Mexico, reaching a top speed of 833.9 miles per hour.
The stunt was sponsored by Red Bull and attracted eight million concurrent views on YouTube, the highest-ever concurrent viewing figures on the Google-owned site's history.
Red Bull described the stunt as the biggest piece of activity it has undertaken this year. It has been heavily promoting the event through its own sites as well as social media channels and PR activity.
According to a Twitter spokeswoman, there has been approximately 3.1m tweets sent, relating to the event.
Baumgartner said: "It was an incredible up and down today, just like it's been with the whole project. First we got off with a beautiful launch and then we had a bit of drama with a power supply issue to my visor.
"It was really brutal at times. I thought for a few seconds that I'd lost consciousness. I didn't feel a sonic boom because I was so busy just trying to stabilize myself... It was really a lot harder than I though it was going to be."Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Business Analyst - E-Commerce Pitch Consultants £30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, Gloucestershire
- Account Manager/Senior Account Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, Birmingham
- Sales and Marketing Director Pitch Consultants £50000 - £80000 per annum + bonus, benefits, Warwickshire
- Marketing Support Dot-Gap £17k, London Central
- Account Manager AF Selection £25000 - £28000 per annum, Manchester
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Programmatic adspend nears £1bn and doubles for mobile