Jubilee and Euro 2012 drive better than expected Q2 adspend
By Ben Bold, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 17 October 2012 08:00AM
UK adspend grew 3.8% year on year in the second quarter of 2012, beating forecasts by nearly 1%, according to data from the Advertising Association (AA) and Warc.
The 3.8% adspend growth, which does not include direct mail, beats earlier forecasts by 0.9%.
The AA/Warc Expenditure Report attributed the surge – £4.2bn including direct mail spend – to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Euro 2012 and advertisers moving budgets from Q3 because of the London Olympics.
However, given the global economic outlook, predictions for the rest of 2012 and 2013 are less positive, although ad expenditure is still expected to grow - by 2.1% in 2012 and 4.1% in 2013 (excluding direct mail).
In terms of media, cinema experienced the biggest hike in adspend in Q2, up 23.9% year on year followed by internet (14.8%), radio (9.4%), out-of-home (9.9%) and TV (4.4%).
Tim Lefroy, the AA’s chief executive, said: "Advertising continues to enjoy solid growth prospects. It remains a potent tool for boosting consumer spending and getting money flowing round the economy again."
Suzy Young, Warc’s data editor, said: "The forecast for UK adspend strengthens in 2013 as inflation subsides and real disposable income increases for the first time since the financial crisis."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Partner Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, Brentford, London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Director - Digital Agency - Oxfordshire - £45k - NP084 Stonor £45k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire