Microsoft prepares for pre-Christmas tablet battle against Amazon and Apple
Microsoft, Amazon and Apple are gearing up for an aggressive tablet computer battle in the UK, in the lead up to Christmas.
Microsoft has revealed it will launch its first ever tablet in the UK on 26 October, the day after Amazon launches its Kindle Fire tablet range in the UK.
Meanwhile, Apple is expected to unveil an iPad Mini tablet on the 23 October after sending out an invite that claimed, "we’ve got a little more to show you".
Apple is renowned for launching devices shortly after revealing details of products at its much hyped press conferences, meaning the rumoured iPad Mini is likely to launch well before Christmas.
The Microsoft Surface tablet will cost £399 for the entry level version, rising to £559 for the 64GB version.
Microsoft has already unveiled the first ever advert for its tablet computer, but Microsoft is not commenting on whether the US-made ad will air in the UK.
Amazon’s seven-inch Kindle Fire HD with 16GB storage will cost £159 when it launches in the UK. It will be available through retail partners including Waterstones and Carphone Warehouse.
Apple and Amazon are increasingly squaring up to each other as speculation grows about the potential release of an iPad Mini, which would compete directly against the Kindle. Amazon is also bringing an 8.9 inch Kindle Fire to the UK to rival the iPad.
Google sells the Nexus 7 tablet in the UK, which it makes in conjunction with tech manufacturer Asus.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- International Media Account Manager - Leading Media Agency Ultimate Asset £32000 - £35000 per annum + great benefits package + bonus, London
- Comms Account Director -Music Brand -Leading Media Agency Ultimate Asset £45000 - £65000 per annum + competitive, London
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned