IPA's Bellwether reveals waning confidence
By Katherine Levy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 18 October 2012 08:00AM
IPA research has revealed that marketing spend has been revised downwards for a second successive quarter and that marketing executives are less confident in their companies' prospects for the first time this year.
A tough trading environment has caused 23 per cent of companies to report a reduction in marketing spend, compared with 18 per cent posting a rise in the third quarter, resulting in the sharpest revision downwards since the end of 2009, according to the IPA Bellwether Report. This net 5.5 per cent reduction compares with a 1.8 per cent decline in the second quarter.
Around 31 per cent of respondents have grown more pessimistic about their own companies’ prospects, compared with 28 per cent who are more optimistic.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "Although this is disappointing, it is by no means terrible."
The results follow a report earlier this week from the Advertising Association and Warc showing that, while UK adspend grew 3.8 per cent year on year in the second quarter (excluding direct mail), predictions for the remainder of 2012 and 2013 are not as strong as previously anticipated.Follow @KatherinePLevy
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Interim Senior Marketing Manager - Campaigns Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £60,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- International Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £55,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £43,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £Attractive, London (North), London (Greater)
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline