IPA's Bellwether reveals waning confidence
By Katherine Levy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 18 October 2012 08:00AM
IPA research has revealed that marketing spend has been revised downwards for a second successive quarter and that marketing executives are less confident in their companies' prospects for the first time this year.
A tough trading environment has caused 23 per cent of companies to report a reduction in marketing spend, compared with 18 per cent posting a rise in the third quarter, resulting in the sharpest revision downwards since the end of 2009, according to the IPA Bellwether Report. This net 5.5 per cent reduction compares with a 1.8 per cent decline in the second quarter.
Around 31 per cent of respondents have grown more pessimistic about their own companies’ prospects, compared with 28 per cent who are more optimistic.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "Although this is disappointing, it is by no means terrible."
The results follow a report earlier this week from the Advertising Association and Warc showing that, while UK adspend grew 3.8 per cent year on year in the second quarter (excluding direct mail), predictions for the remainder of 2012 and 2013 are not as strong as previously anticipated.Follow @KatherinePLevy
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - leading creative agency (Hertford) Media IQ Recruitment Up to £33k basic, Hertfordshire / Hertford, Hertfordshire / Hertford, Hertfordshire
- Account Manager Major Players £160.00 - £220.00 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Affiliate Account Manager Premier Media £26000 - £32000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Designer - Creative Agency (Hertford) Media IQ Recruitment Up to £42k basic, Hertfordshire / Hertford, Hertfordshire / Hertford, Hertfordshire
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Radio Times: 50 years of Doctor Who covers
- McDonald's marks 40 years with charity ad