Emmerdale 40th birthday special attracts peak audience of 10.2m
By Ben Bold, brandrepublic.com, Thursday, 18 October 2012 12:44PM
ITV1's 'Emmerdale' 40th anniversary live special was watched by an average of 9.2 million viewers last night, while its afternoon coverage of England's rescheduled World Cup qualifier against Poland drew an average audience of 4.2 million.
According to unofficial overnight figures, ‘Emmerdale’, which aired between 7pm and 8pm, commanded a 41.7% share of viewers and beat its previous 2012 high of 8.7 million viewers. It drew a five-minute peak of 10.2 million.
The special episode treated viewers to several moments of high drama, including the murder of Carl King, two weddings and two births.
Earlier on, coverage of the England vs Poland game, which was meant to be broadcast on Tuesday night but was cancelled because of a waterlogged pitch, averaged a share of 33.5% between 3.30pm and 6.10pm. Its afternoon scheduling meant that many fans were still at work and unable to watch much of the game. Accordingly, it audience figures peaked in its final 15 minutes, reaching 6.3 million, with a five-minute peak of 6.5 million.
Meanwhile, Channel 4’s 100th edition of ‘Grand Designs’ drew 3.5 million viewers, including Channel 4+1, and a 15.8% share from 9pm to 10pm, and a 15-minute peak of 4.1 million.
At the same time over on BBC One, 'Who Do You Think You Are', featuring former England footballer John Barnes, attracted an audience of 3.4 million and a share of 14.9%. Earlier in the evening, from 8pm to 9pm, BBC One's 'Watchdog' drew an average audience of 4.7 million, a 21.3% share, and a peak of 5.2 million in its final 15 minutes.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- International Account Director - Media Agency (Benelux & Scandinavia Regions) Silverdrum £45,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Business Director Twist Recruitment £90000.00 - £100000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Digital Marketing Manager - £60K - Fashion - Buckinghams Salt £55000 - £65000 per annum, Buckinghamshire
- Italian Marketing Executive, Travel, Soho Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £27000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: +Bonus & Benefits, London
- Private Bank - Digital Marketing, eCRM Campaign & Marketing Operations Manager - Associate - London J.P.Morgan JPMorgan Chase & Co. offer an exceptional benefits program and highly competitive compensation., Knightsbridge
- Oreo eclipses The Sun in celestial stunt
- Katharine Viner becomes first female editor-in-chief of Guardian News & Media
- Why Viacom spent £120m extending Channel 5's Big Brother deal for three more years
- Tesco media review pits Initiative against MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia
- Comparethemarket.com offers two for one cinema tickets with Meerkat Movies
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'