Sport magazine iPad app attracts 23,000 subscribers
By Nick Batten, mediaweek.co.uk, Monday, 22 October 2012 03:17PM
Sport, the free magazine published by UTV Media, has revealed that its free iPad app has attracted 23,000 subscribers since going on Apple Newsstand seven months ago.
The magazine launched its iPad edition with an exclusive ad partnership with WPP's GroupM in November 2011. It claims that the app has been downloaded more than 65,000 times.
In the recent Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) figures, covering January to June 2012, Sport recorded an average circulation of 305,676, down 0.2% year on year.
Commercially, the iPad edition has attracted brands including Gatorade, Davidoff, LG and Calvin Klein who – according to UTV Media – have built on their advertising in the print edition to "create bespoke and innovative digital campaigns".
Cyclist Mark Cavendish was the cover star for the first iPad edition and featured in an exclusive behind-the-scenes video for the magazine. Recently, the digital edition has included exclusive video content with footballer Nemanja Vidic, Olympic gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave, and golfer Ian Poulter on the Ryder Cup.
Kurt Edwards, commercial director, TalkSport and Sport sales, said: "As the biggest sports magazine in the UK, we were confident that developing an iPad version was the correct step to take bringing the magazine to readers outside our usual distribution area.
"The clear positive reaction from readers and advertisers alike has been very encouraging throughout the past year. We're looking at the best way to expand the brand and continue our digital offering."
The magazine was first published in France in 2003 as a free monthly title, and in March 2004 as a weekly. The London edition started up on 29 September 2006, the first of its type in the UK and was sold to TalkSport owners UTV Media (GB) in 2009.
Sport was awarded Cover of the Year at the 2012 PPA Awards for its front cover featuring the former England footballer, Paul Gascoigne.Follow @nickbatten2
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Junior Account Manager / Account Manager / Account Executive Royds Raphael £25k-£28kk+neg, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Branding Agency - FREELANCE or permanent Royds Raphael £30k-£35k+ pro rata, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - GLOBAL BRANDING, INNOVATION & STRATEGY Royds Raphael £75k-£80k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - BRAND STRATEGY & DESIGN freelance contract & permanent role Royds Raphael £35k-£40k+ dep. on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)