Debenhams to launch first Christmas TV campaign in six years
Debenhams is to launch a Christmas TV campaign for the first time in six years next month as its profits defy the tough economic climate.
The retailer announced in its full-year results showing that profits before tax were up 4.2% to £158.3m for the 52 weeks to 1 September, on the back of increased marketing spend in its 'Life Made Fabulous' activity.
Unlike rivals Marks & Spencer and John Lewis, Debenhams has shied away from a big-budget TV Christmas drive in recent years.
Details of the latest campaign are expected to be disclosed in the coming weeks.
Debenhams has also signed up fashion designer Markus Lupfer and model Donna Air for a childrenswear range that will launch on 26 November.
The exclusive range will be called Donna & Markus by Markus Lupfer and will comprise a collection of knitwear, sweatshirts, T-shirts and leggings for girls aged four to 14.
Debenhams will target the range at "fashion-forward mothers" who want to dress their daughters in "designs usually only spotted on the catwalks at Fashion Week".
The brand's strong performance brought it an increased market share in fashion with its "designers at Debenhams" positioning, while increasing sales of perfumes and cosmetics with brands including Chanel, Benefit and Urban Decay has also gained it market share in health and beauty, according to the retailer.
Debenhams is seeking to capitalise on its momentum by building 17 new stores across the UK over the next five years and hopes to create up to 1,700 jobs in the process.
Michael Sharp, chief executive at Debenhams, added: "We are on track to modernise 30 core stores by Christmas 2014, including Oxford Street, which will be transformed outside and inside to create a true company flagship for the brand."Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Buyer Planner/Senior Buyer Planner Premier Media £22000 - £28000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sky Brand Manager - Brand Development Sky negotiable, Isleworth, London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Executive Ninesharp £135 - £140 per day, Kensington and Chelsea, London (Greater)
- Digital Producer / Account Manager - Creative Services EMEA Silverdrum £45,000 - £50,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London...
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Radio Times: 50 years of Doctor Who covers
- McDonald's marks 40 years with charity ad