John Lewis ads scoop IPA Effectiveness Grand Prix
John Lewis' ongoing ad campaign, by Adam & Eve and Manning Gottlieb OMD, has taken the top prize at this year's IPA Effectiveness Awards.
The department store’s ‘highly emotive’ TV ads scooped the Grand Prix at Monday night’s (29 October) ceremony at the London Hilton Hotel on Park Lane, where a record number of Gold awards were handed out.
The judges commended John Lewis’ advertising from Christmas 2009 onwards, including its ‘Always a woman’ TV clip, from spring 2010.
Its marketing was praised for helping to deliver almost £1.1bn in incremental sales and £261m profits over a two-year period, as well as its effectiveness through digital channels: its Christmas 2011 ad was viewed on YouTube more than 4m times.
Lord Hollick, a former senior non-executive director at Diageo, and chairman of the judges, said: ‘This campaign combined wonderfully emotive creativity with evident effectiveness to return the brand to "national-treasure" status.
‘It demonstrates the power of acknowledging and rallying other audiences behind the brand, including employees and stakeholders, to shift consumer perceptions.’
Elsewhere, Waitrose’s advertising, by Bartle Bogle Hegarty, picked up the award for Best Dedication to Effectiveness, while Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO was named Effectiveness Company of the Year.
Best Channel Planning went to Digital UK’s advertising by DLKW Lowe, BBC Switchover Help Scheme and MediaCom.
Several awards went to public-sector campaigns, including the Metropolitan Police’s ‘Who Killed Deon?’ push by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO.
- Grand Prix, sponsored by Thinkbox: John Lewis by Adam & Eve and Manning Gottlieb OMD
- Effectiveness Company of the Year, sponsored by Thinkbox: Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Best Channel Planning, sponsored by Microsoft Advertising: Digital UK by DLKW Lowe, Digital UK, BBC Switchover Help Scheme and MediaCom
- Best International, sponsored by Velti: Snickers by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Best Demonstration of Consumer Participation, sponsored by Facebook: Metropolitan Police by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Best Use of Insight, sponsored by Future Foundation: Cadbury Dairy Milk by Ogilvy & Mather India
- Best Dedication to Effectiveness, sponsored by Warc: Waitrose by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Best New Learning, sponsored by Clear Channel: Metropolitan Police by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Aldi by McCann Manchester
- British Gas by CHI & Partners
- Cadbury Dairy Milk by Ogilvy & Mather India
- DFT by Leo Burnett
- Digital UK by DLKW Lowe, Digital UK, BBC Switchover Help Scheme and MediaCom
- Dove by Ogilvy & Mather Shanghai
- Health Promotion Board Singapore by Ogilvy & Mather Singapore
- John Lewis by Adam & Eve and Manning Gottleib OMD
- McDonald’s by Leo Burnett
- Metropolitan Police by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Snickers by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Virgin Atlantic by RKCR/Y&R, Gyro, OMD International, Hall & Partners
- Walkers by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Which? by Mike Colling & Co
- Art Fund by 101
- Danone Activia by RKCR/Y&R
- IBM by Ogilvy & Mather New York
- Magnum Gold?! by Lola Madrid, Lowe and Partners
- Nikon by Jung von Matt AG
- Nissan by Lew’Lara\TBWA
- The National Lottery by MPG Media Contacts
- VO5 Extreme Style by Euro RSCG London
- Waitrose by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Yorkshire Tea by Beattie McGuinness Bungay
- Audi by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Boots by Mother
- BT by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Dove Hair by Ogilvy & Mather
- Gordon’s by Bartle Bogle Hegarty
- Gü by DDB UK
- LV= by Designate, 24-7 ideas.com
- Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts by Ogilvy & Mather Hong Kong
- Ta Chong Bank by Ogilvy & Mather Taipei
- Velvet by Fallon London
- Virgin Trains by Elvis and Manning Gottleib OMD
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Digital Project Manager - Hugely Respected Digital Agency ADLIB £30000 - £45000 per annum, Oxford
- Digital Display Manager - Telecoms PFJ £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, London
- Account Director - Arts Clients PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- AV Account Director (contract) PFJ £35000.00 - £43000.00 per annum, London