EE takes over newspapers and outdoor for 4G marketing assault
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 31 October 2012 09:25AM
EE has today unleashed the above-the-line activity of its estimated £100m 4G launch campaign, with ads dominating newspapers and appearing on every digital outdoor site in the UK.
EE, which launched its next generation mobile broadband network yesterday, has taken placements in The Sun, the Daily Mirror, the Daily Star, the Evening Standard, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, the Daily Express, City AM, The Financial Times, the Daily Record, The Scotsman and The Herald.
The ads, which include double-page spreads, feature EE’s new branding and are product-led, promoting its services, such as its download speeds and new movie service. Some of the ads also promote the devices available on EE, including the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S III Lite and pricing of plans.
EE also claimed the campaign would "dominate every single DOOH site in the UK ... with special bespoke city dominations in the 4G launch cities across banner sites, rail, roadside and digital formats".
The ads, which were created by Saatchi & Saatchi, feature the strapline: "The new network for your digital life." MEC bought the media for the campaign.
Last week Vodafone launched a major press assault to fend off competition from EE, with a campaign which is estimated to be around the £4m mark.
This is the first above the line iteration of EE’s new campaign. Until now, EE has been promoting its 4G superfast mobile broadband service through digital, social media and PR activity.
On the day the new EE brand was unveiled, it bought paid-for Twitter promotions, using the #4GEE hashtag. This hashtag appears in the press ads.
While the press and outdoor ads are product focussed, the TV campaign, will be more brand focussed and will feature Hollywood actor Kevin Bacon. The first TV ad breaks this Saturday (3 November).
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Marketing Manager (Publishing Partners) - Global Publishing House Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Incentive + Company Benefits Package,