3 great ads I had nothing to do with: Stella Artois "ice-skating priests"
By Thinkbox, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 31 October 2012 08:00AM
Jonathan Glazer marked his third outing as the director of the Stella Artois ads with an epic two-minute spot.
It starts with an eye-catching scene of scores of priests rushing out to skate on a frozen pond. A younger brother is sent to fetch a crate of Stella Artois, but he falls through the ice and disappears into the frozen water – with the crate. Showing little compassion for him, his brothers rush over in an attempt to save the beer. Finally the priest manages to get out of the freezing water only to be sent back in to retrieve some bottles of Stella.
The ad was written and art directed by Vince Squibb for Lowe London with the agency producer Sarah Hallett.
Jonathan Glazer, is also known for his work with Guinness ("surfer", "dreamer" and "swimblack") directed the spot via production company Academy Films with producer Simon Cooper and director of photography was Dan Landin.
The ad was filmed in Poland in black and white. It was "graded" by Moving Picture Company‘s Mark Gethin to give it a 1920s' look.
The main actor is Polish star Zbigniew Zamachowski, famous for his role in the ‘Three Colours’ Trilogy. The music for the Stella Artois Ice Skating Priests ad is 'Hungarian Rhapsody Number 2' by Liszt.
To see more films in this series, visit Three Great Ads I Had Nothing To Do With
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Planner Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £70,000, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Central), London (Greater)
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers