Comet poised to file for administration
Comet is poised to file for administration this morning, putting around 6,000 jobs at the struggling electronics retailer at risk.
It is understood Comet will announce the intention to appoint Deloitte as administrator later today as the retailer battles with paying suppliers up front for stock ahead of the crucial Christmas trading period.
The news comes less than a year after former Comet owner Kesa sold the retailer to a private equity-backed firm for £2.
Comet was bought by Hailey Holdings and Hailey Acquisitions, backed by private equity firm OpCapita, in November last year.
At the time the new owner promised to keep Comet as a going concern for 18 months and said after the period it would close some of the 250 stores to strip out costs.
Comet's expected fall into administration is just the latest bleak news to hit the high-street and follows that of Best Buy pulling out of the UK market less than a year ago by closing its 11 UK stores
The potential disappearance of Comet from the high street would leave Dixons Retail, owner of the Curry’s and PC World brands, as the only major consumer electronics retail brand with a physical presence in the UK.
Comet's and Best Buy’s woes come as consumers increasingly turn to online retailers including Amazon to buy their electrical goods.
Comet declined to comment.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Media Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show