Agencies compete for Freixenet ad account
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 01 November 2012 11:45AM
Freixenet, the UK's bestselling sparkling wine producer, has approached agencies ahead of a pitch for its UK advertising account.
The wine brand has approached agencies directly, inviting them to pitch for the business. It follows an aborted approach earlier this year.
Leo Burnett has previously handled its UK creative, but in the past few years Freixenet has worked with Spanish agencies.
JWT Barcelona produced a new global positioning in 2010 that highlighted the brand's Mediterranean heritage, using the straplines "Wonderfully unexpected" and "Barcelona since 1861".
Freixenet is known in Spain for its annual Christmas TV campaign that stars a different celebrity each year. The singer Shakira and the actors Antonio Banderas and Sharon Stone have all featured in the seasonal spots for the wine-maker. In the UK, its advertising has mostly focused on press ads.
In August 2011, Freixenet put its media planning and buying business in key global markets, including the UK, up for pitch.
Freixenet is the top-selling sparkling wine brand in the off-trade, according to Mintel data, with sales of £34 million in 2011 and a 9 per cent market share. The brand has benefited from the strong performance of Cava as consumers traded down from Champagne. Its brands include Cordon Negro Cava and Ash Tree Estate wine.Follow @Jezzalee
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Manager - 12 month maternity cover contract AF Selection £24,000 - £30,000, Nottingham
- Web Analyst - 2 Positions. RS Components Market Rate., London, Corby or Oxford
- Assistant Brand Manager - FMCG Jarlett de Grouchy £28000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, Croydon
- Digital Designer role in Berkshire - 25-35k Creative Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, Berkshire
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity