UK online grocery sales surge as consumers seek value
Groceries now ranks as the third-biggest online shopping category in the UK, following a surge in ecommerce uptake in the sector in the past two years.
According to research by Nielsen, about 74% of UK consumers now use the web for buying and researching household groceries.
The category is behind only travel and book purchases, up from seventh position two years ago. In the rest of Europe, grocery ranks, on average, as the 12th-biggest category in ecommerce terms.
The 2012 Nielsen ‘Global survey of digital influence on grocery shopping’ surveyed more than 28,000 web users in 56 countries. The report found that value is the pri-mary driving force behind growth in the UK, with 48% of Britons using the web to look for deals.
Almost one in three (30%) people visits coupon sites, and more than a quarter (26%) of those do so on a daily basis.
Mike Watkins, head of retailer insight at Nielsen UK, said the results ‘reinforce the price sensitivity of Britons when it comes to grocery shopping’.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Communications Executive Ninesharp £28000 - £35000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits, City of London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Retail] - Superb London Agency! Fill Recruitment £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, London (Greater)
- Online Trading Manager Premier Consultants c.£45k plus bonus , Central London
- Account Director - Integrated / [CARS] - Global Agency - to £55k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £55k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)
- PLANNING ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - GLOBAL SOFT DRINKS BRAND Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith