Halo symbol flown over London for game launch
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 06 November 2012 11:30AM
Microsoft continued its attempts to grab attention for the launch of 'Halo 4' for the Xbox 360 by flying the game's Glyph symbol over London last night.
Suspended from a helicopter, the symbol flew over the River Thames from Greenwich Peninsula to Tower Bridge, as part of a project led by AKQA.
Chris Lewis, vice president, interactive entertainment business at Microsoft EMEA, said: "’Halo’ launches are renowned for being entertainment game-changers and we are back with our most ambitious projects to date."
"The Glyph flyover makes the seemingly impossible world of science fiction a reality, a 50 foot symbol of the Didact hovering in the skies of a major capital city, seems a fitting way to herald the next chapter of this phenomenal blockbuster franchise."
Fans were able to buy the game at midnight openings in 40 countries at more than 10,000 stores including more than 350 locations in UK, including the flagship event at GAME Westfield Stratford.
Marketing activity for Halo is backed by record levels of marketing investment for the launch of an Xbox game, according to Andy Irving, the brand’s UK senior product manager.
A 60-second TV spot, produced by David Fincher, director of The Social Network, broke in October, while a second ad, using consumers' Facebook information, is to run on Channel 4.
Last week the Halo universe was recreated in Liechtenstein by transforming major landmarks including the 13th century Gutenberg Castle and a working mine.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager (Agency Sales) Propel £35000 - £40000 per annum + 40% commission scheme , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Director Ball & Hoolahan £100,000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to Join the Blue Skies Agency Freelance Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to join the Blue Skies Creative Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / Surrey
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film