Asda Christmas ad prompts sexism complaints
UPDATE 7 NOV: Fathers 4 Justice is encouraging complaints to the ad watchdog that Asda's Christmas ad, which shows a mum preparing for the big day, is sexist.
As of midday on Wednesday (7 November), the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has recevied 33 complaints (up from 24 yesterday afternoon) but has not yet decided whether to investigate the spot, which was created by Saatchi & Saatchi.
An ASA spokesman said the general nature of the complaints is that the ad is offensive because it is sexist to both men and women, and reinforces stereotypes.
Some complaints focus on the strapline, which is "Behind every great Christmas there's mum and behind mum there's Asda", claiming that this suggests that men, or fathers, do not have a role in contributing to Christmas
Other complaints object that the ad suggests that preparing for Christmas is solely a mother's job.
Fathers 4 Justice said several of the complaints had come from its members and that it had submitted its own complaints to Asda and the ASA this morning (7 November).
A Fathers 4 Justice spokeswoman said the letter to Asda gave the store chain a deadline of 10 days to pull the ad and make an apology for what she called a "completely unacceptable" ad that was "grossly insulting" to fathers who won't be seeing their children at Christmas.
The spokeswoman added that Fathers 4 Justice would be open to Asda amending the ad but qualified this by saying it would be difficult to edit out all the moments that were offensive, as from the beginning the dad does not have a say in the Christmas tree selection.
Asda has yet to respond to a request for comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire