Morrisons avoids 'perfect' Christmas cliché with surreal ad
By Matthew Chapman, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 12 November 2012 09:10AM
Morrisons is avoiding using the cliché of the "picture-perfect day" for its Christmas campaign, with a surreal TV ad dramatising a mum's hard work including eye-catching scenes such as wrestling a turkey.
The ad is a departure from the brand’s previous celebrity led-creative and aims to show the story of a family Christmas unfolding.
DLKW Lowe created the ad that features surreal scenes including the mum, played by 'This is England' actress Jo Hartley, wrestling a turkey.
Music for the campaign was created by Oscar-nominated American movie composer John Debney, who was nominated for his 'The Passion of The Christ' score.
The 60-second spot is being supported by shortened 20-second executions shot with the same cast and in the same style, and focusing on the expertise of its in-store specialists.
Facebook activity includes a competition called Crimes Against Christmas, which invites users to share images embarrassing images from past Christmases, including dodgy jumpers and food disasters.
Former commercial director Richard Hodgson, whose departure from the company was revealed last week, described the new creative direction as an attempt to demonstrate that "we understand our customers and resonate with the challenges they face in the run-up to Christmas".
The 60-second TV spot launched yesterday (11 November) during 'The X Factor' results show.
MEC handled the media planning and buying, while the production company was Academy.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Graphic Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Quant AD or RM - Creative Boutique Hasson Associates £35,000 - £55,000 , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Executive-Analytics & CRM Galliard Homes £25-30k, Loughton, Essex
- Digital Marketing Assistant Galliard Homes £16-20k, Loughton, Essex
- Digital Marketing Executive - Content, Creative & Communications Galliard Homes £25-30k, Loughton, Essex
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy