RB tables $1.4bn offer for US vitamin group
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 16 November 2012 10:54AM
Reckitt Benckiser (RB) is aiming to break into the vitamins, minerals and supplements global market by making an offer to buy US company Schiff Nutrition International.
RB has made a $1.4bn (£883m) offer for Schiff, trumping a $1.2bn (£757m) offer made by German pharmaceutical company Bayer.
Schiff owns several vitamin brands, including MegaRed and Move Free. The company boasted revenue of $259m (£163m) in the 12 months ending May 31, according to its latest results.
Currently, RB has a presence in the health and hygiene sectors, but not in the fast-growing vitamin field.
Rakesh Kapoor, chief executive of RB, said: "For Reckitt Benckiser, this acquisition would provide a powerful entryway into the large and rapidly growing $30bn global VMS market. This market would be the largest consumer healthcare sector in which we operate.
"It is an ideal addition to Reckitt Benckiser's new strategic focus in global health and hygiene, and would give us immediate scale in VMS in the US. It also plays well to our consumer marketing, innovation and go to market capabilities."
Should RB's proposed takeover of Schiff go through, it would mark the group's biggest acquisition since July, when it announced a $3..9bn (£2.5bn) deal for SSL International, the maker of Dr Scholl foot products and Durex condoms.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Senior Broadcast Buyer - Leading Gaming & Confectionery Clients Ultimate Asset £28000 - £32000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- Publisher Development Manager - video Ultimate Asset £45000 - £50000 per annum + commission, London
- Digital Account Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, City of London
- Online Marketing Executive JV Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum, Manchester
- HSBC uses emotive ad to relaunch bank account on Christmas Day
- Tetley launches ad with Tea Folk in middle of medieval battle
- Virgin Holidays encourages customers to 'flaunt it' in Christmas Day ad
- Top 10 most-viewed The Work
- US holiday campaign round-up 2014
- 'Creative' RFI requests are getting out of control