Microsoft plotting UK retail stores, says report
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 26 November 2012 10:05AM
Microsoft is considering the launch of retail stores in Europe, similar to rival Apple's, to showcase its range of devices, according to a report.
The technology giant has been in discussion with a number of landlords in the UK, with its first outlets expected to open next year.
Microsoft already has more than 50 retail stores in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, selling devices such as its Xbox console and Surface tablet.
The move into retail comes shortly after Microsoft's chief executive hinted that it would be making a greater hardware play earlier this month, following the launch of its first tablet device.
Last week, reports emerged about Microsoft's plans to build a set-top TV Box next year, dubbed ‘Xbox TV’, to compete with Apple TV.
A move into retail stores would mirror Apple, which has used its stores to sell its devices.
Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment on the report at the time of publication.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Account Manager - various accounts - up to £30k + bens Barker Graves Up to £30k plus bens, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Branding Agency - CONTRACT & PERM Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+generous benefits & bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager / Account Manager - BRANDING & STRAGEGY Royds Raphael £38k-£45k+neg, London (Central), London (Greater)
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - ACCOUNT MANAGER Royds Raphael £35K+ & generous benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £37000 per annum, City of London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts