Smartphones forecast to drive £3.5bn in Christmas sales
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 26 November 2012 01:13PM
Smartphones will generate £3.5bn-worth of sales this Christmas, according to a forecast from business consultancy firm Deloitte.
Deloitte predicts that consumers will use their devices to research products, compare prices, make shopping lists and share items with friends on social networks.
Purchases completed on mobile phones are predicted to double or possibly triple compared with last year, according to Deloitte. This works out at 10% of all in-store sales being influenced by smartphone devices.
The firm estimates that £330m of sales will be made through smartphones, while sales of £500m will be made through tablets.
Deloitte also forecasts another strong year for online retail, with sales increasing this Christmas by 17% and total UK retail sales edging up by 1%.
Colin Jeffrey, head of multichannel retail at Deloitte, said: "It is also going to be a click-and-collect Christmas, with those retailers who have invested in this service in line to do well, as these customers spend more and collections drive footfall in to stores.
"Retailers without flexible collection options and mobile services are failing to meet basic customer expectations and will suffer as a result."Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- planner > HUGE opportunity > BRAVE client collectivo Up to £60,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Foodie Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham