Adland staff numbers reach 52-year high
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 29 November 2012 08:00AM
The number of employees working in advertising, media and communications agencies has risen to record levels, according to the IPA's 2012 Agency Census.
The survey reveals that the size of the employed base in IPA member agencies has increased from 19,372 to 20,491. This is the highest level in the 52 years of the census after a 5.8 per cent increase on 2011.
The total number of women working in agencies has passed 10,000 for the first time, but the male-to-female ratio remains roughly the same at 51:49. However, one in five of the top management posts is now filled by a woman.
The average age of employees in all member agencies is 34, although it is younger in media shops at 31. The largest percentage of people in executive management positions are aged 31-40, although 2 per cent are under 30. There was also an increase in ethnic-minority employees.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "It’s terrific to see that the number of employees in advertising is at its highest level since records began. Moreover, as the first female president of the IPA, I find it extremely encouraging to see the percentage of women in senior management positions on the increase like this."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- planner > HUGE opportunity > BRAVE client collectivo Up to £60,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Foodie Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham